Should You Sell Your Book at National BookStore?

I am just so happy to have my book sold at National BookStore, Powerbooks, and BestSellers. Just seeing the book on the shelf gives me a certain fulfillment.

With the book distributed in National and their other book store chains, I can reach more people and sell more books! After awhile, all my friends and relatives would have gotten enough copies of the book from me already and I need to reach out to a bigger, wider market.

Since National BookStore, etc. run a business, they will, of course, need to make money out of selling your book too. Selling through the bookstore chain then will necessitate charging a higher price for your book (than if you didn’t sell through them) but think of all the costs you would need to cover if you had to do everything yourself.

That’s one good thing about working with or having a publisher like Claretian Publications. You don’t need to do everything yourself. That is stewardship in action. If you like to write, you are a writer. That is your skill. That is your passion. Now it may be so that you have been blessed doubly and you happen to be a good marketer too. Well and good. But what happens if that is not the case? You will need to work with people who are skilled in those other areas. Claretian Publications is in the publishing business. That’s what they do best. National BookStore sells and distributes books. That’s what they are in business for. Writer, publisher, book store operator. All working together.

If you, as writer, can convince a publisher and an established chain like National BookStore to support your book then your work is probably one-tenth done. Claretian Publications, or any publisher for that matter, will submit the book to National BookStore for evaluation and National BookStore may approve the book and place orders for the book depending on whether they think it will move or sell.

So for those looking for the book Mom’s A Stewardess, it is available at National BookStore, Powerbooks, and BestSeller branches. I suggest you call the particular branch that you intend to go to first to ask if there are stocks available. My friends and relatives may have wiped them out already. If there are no more stocks available at a particular branch, you can ask them to check their system or database to let you know where you can still buy the book.

I grew up going to National BookStore so I’m happy that my book is sold there. “Back to school. Back to National BookStore.” But even if you are no longer in school, please go there. You are sure to continue learning a thing or two.

14 Responses to “Should You Sell Your Book at National BookStore?”

1. dyanie says:

Hi Tita Angel! Congratz on your book! Will buy a copy as soon as I have the time to go to the mall! Cheers! 🙂

2. Angel says:

Hi Dyanie!

Thanks for dropping by and for your kind words. Thanks for planning to get a copy of the book. You can read it and you can also gift it to your mom. Additional birthday gift.

3. Apple says:

hello. good day. I would like to ask about publishing and distribution?
    I am planning to publish a material and have it distributed to local stores.
    I am really serious about this but I have yet to learn how this works.
    if I may ask. how is it done? what’s the first step?
    do you approach a publisher and propose your material? does the
    material have to be already complete?
    so are the publishers in charge of distributing in local bookstores?
    how are the payments and profits managed?
    thank you very much. your response will be greatly appreciated.

4. Angel says:

Hi Apple. Thanks for your comment and for your questions. To reply to your questions:

You may consider to self-publish via Central Bookstore for example or even go the e-book route via Amazon. Or you can pitch your material to a local publisher.

From what I have experienced and other friends, a publisher can ask you for a book proposal first or you can also submit a complete manuscript for their consideration and evaluation.

If you have a publisher, yes, they will take care of coordinating with National Bookstore and having your book distributed.

If via publisher, publisher shoulders all the costs of publication and will just pay you a royalty for every book sold.

Good luck with your book.

5. Shey says:

Hello! I like your book! I have a friend who is interested also in selling his self-published book through National Book Store. Please email me on what to advise him on what to do and what to expect. Thank you!

6. jose francis siaotong says:

Hi Tita!

congratulations! may we have the chance to see more books from you.

let this be a chance to ask you in the matter of publishing. i wish to know how to publish a book. supposing i have a complete manuscript already, how shall i get it published? who shall i contact? what are the rules with regard to manuscripts (paper size, spacing, etc.)?

your answers as a published author shall be profusely appreciated.
    many thanks.

7. Angel says:

Hi Shey,

Thanks. Am glad you like the book. I actually do not know how the self-published route goes with National since getting my book to National was handled by my publisher Claretian Publications. Your friend can try getting in touch with National and I guess he just has to prove that there is a market for the book. I think it is easier if he has an established publisher. Or your friend may want to consider selling the book himself by going through Central Books or by just publishing e-books via Amazon.

8. Angel says:

Hi Jose Francis,

Thanks for your message. You can send your manuscript to your target publishers and send them a proposal. Whom to contact, you can do research re their websites and/or call them to find out whom to address your manuscript to. Re rules, it would be better if you talk to the target publisher and adjust based on their specific requirements.

9. Jose Francis says:

Many thanks. Your reply is very helpful. May you publish more works.

10. Cajun says:

Good day, I would like to ask you about the publishing. I am also considering to get my books included in the listings of our local bookstores, like NBS, Fully booked, and Powerbooks. I know I need to have a publisher, but my concern is, I also plan to self-publish my book as an ebook on Amazon. Is it possible to have a book published by a local publisher and have an ebook published by myself? Do I have the rights to do that, since some publishers wants exclusivity in distributing a title?
    And also I want my books hardcover or paperback to be available as well outside the Philippines. Any good advice?

11. duh says:

boring book, ugh. next!

12. Joyce Lamela says:

Hi!

Thanks for sharing your tips. I am searching information also how to sell my books at National Bookstore. My book, The Quiz Master, is now available in amazon.com but I want to place copies for sale also in a traditional bookstore in the Philippines. Can you provide steps how to submit my book for sale at National Bookstore? Thanks a lot!

13. Raymond Leguarda Garcia says:

Hi. I have self-publiched book and i want it to be availabke at NBS. Mayi ask what are the steps or things that i need to do to sell my books in NBS? Thanks you

14. ghada says:

Hi ma’am Annalyn.

my book is already publish in US and can be availed through outskirts press book store, amazon, and Barnes and noble. but my dream is to see my book in bookstore, especially in national bookstore. How I can transact my book to national bookstore? please do help me. God bless.

15. Hi there, I enjoy reading aall of your article.
    I like to write a little cpmment to upport
    you.

16. a says:

I’ve been exploring for a little bit for any high-quality articles or weblog
    posts on this kind of house . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this
    web site. Reading this information So i’m satisfied to show that I have a very good uncanny feeling I discovered exactly what I needed.
    I such a lot for sure will make sure to do not omit this
    web site and give it a glance on a constant basis.

17. MiciROX says:

Hi! I plan to see if national bookstore can carry my book. Do you know if they need a minimum number of books that they need to carry them? Like 500 pcs allocated to them or something? Thank you! Who might I contact to ask for anything else that needs to be included in the book? 🙂